NJ OER State Guidelines
S768 Pamphlet Law: Requires institutions of higher education to develop open textbook plan
Click here for a copy of both the pamphlet law and the OSHE guidelines.
For assistance in developing your plan, please Contact Us.
OpenNJ – OER Repository
OpenNJ is a statewide repository and referatorium collection developed for New Jersey higher education institutions for its educators to find and access materials. This resource builds a community of practice around OER, and allows educators to learn about who uses what materials already, and what they might consider for their own use. Educators may submit their own items for consideration, which will be reviewed by the OpenNJ Advisory Committee.
OpenNJ is intended to house:
- Openly licensed or public domain OER adopted, adapted, and created for use in NJ
- Open and affordable materials adopted, adapted, and created for use in NJ. These materials may include copyrighted material so an external URL may refer to the original source.
- Full text items with links to native sources as appropriate
VALE-OER Ambassador Program
For the period of May 1, 2021 to June 30, 2023, VALE has appointed three academic librarians to serve as OER Ambassadors. These OER Ambassadors will be responsible for leading a two year, coordinated, statewide effort to advance OER and textbook affordability in NJ higher education. This work will primarily be done by visiting institutions to provide workshops or to support local leaders in organizing workshops, participating in VALE’s OER listserv, and networking with librarians and faculty across institutions to form collaborative relationships around OER implementation.
2021-2023 OER Ambassadors:
- Megan Dempsey – Associate Professor, Instructional Services Librarian, Raritan Valley Community College
- Muhammad Hassan – Director Of Digital Information Resources, The Learning Commons (NTLC), Kean University
- Lily Todorinova – Undergraduate Experience Librarian, New Brunswick Libraries, Rutgers University
The ambassadors can be contacted at email@example.com
The VALE OER Listserv serves as a clearinghouse of ideas for any number of aspects of Open Educational Resources. We seek your ideas, questions, strategies, experiences with, marketing tips and anything else OER related that you think is worthwhile for the community.
There is no reason to limit ourselves to discussions about textbooks either. Learning objects, Libguides, other free resources — just bring it!
Open Textbook Network
In 2018-2019, VALE was a consortial member of the Open Textbook Network.