Open Textbook Network’s Summer Institute – Ambassadors Program
July 22, 2019 - July 26, 2019
VALE is seeking four Open Educational Resources Ambassadors to attend the Open Textbook Network’s Summer Institute (OTNSI), July 22-26, 2019 in Minnesota. Travel expenses, including transportation and accommodations, will be covered. The Open Textbook Network (OTN) is a network of members who work to drive institutional change around textbook affordability.
This professional development and leadership opportunity is based on a “train the trainer” model. Following OTNSI, the four OER Ambassadors will be responsible for leading a one year, coordinated, statewide effort to advance OER and textbook affordability in NJ higher education. This work will primarily be done by visiting institutions to provide workshops or to support local leaders in organizing workshops, collecting data from institutions to report to OTN, participating in OTN’s Google Group and VALE’s OER listserv, and networking with librarians and faculty across institutions to form collaborative relationships around OER implementation.
- Ability to travel within the state up to four times per semester for the Fall 2019 and Spring 2020 semesters (travel mileage will be reimbursed by VALE at NJEdge rates)
- Understanding of open access, open education, and/or creative commons licensing
- Experience organizing and presenting training workshops, with regional or statewide experience preferred
- Demonstrated ability to work with faculty and colleagues across campus
- Submission of one written progress report each semester to VALE Executive Committee, explaining the OER Ambassadors’ contributions to OER initiatives at NJ institutions of higher education
- Demonstrated support of Open Educational Resources and a commitment to the larger community of “Open” and its goals
- Adept at project management, instruction, collaboration, and communication
- Interested librarian submits OER Ambassador Application Form and receives email copy back.
- Interested librarian submits copy of OER Ambassador Application Form and his/her curriculum vitae to Library Dean/Director.
- Library Dean/Director writes letter of recommendation* affirming institutional commitment to provide nominee(s) with:
— time to attend OTN Summer Institute
— time and work flexibility to fulfill training responsibilities for other VALE libraries for one year after OTN Summer Institute
*If applicant is a Library Dean/ Director, the letter of recommendation should be supplied by his/her supervisor.
- Applicant submits completed OER Ambassador Application Form, letter of recommendation, and applicant CV to VALE OER Task Force Chairs.
Selection & Notification
The VALE OER Task Force will notify applicants of acceptance on or before April 30, 2019. Selection criteria will consider representation across a range of institution types and/or geography.